Identity is, qualities of a person that defined who they are. A Dominant Narrative is a story that people in a position of privilege tell about someone who is not. A Counter Narrative is a story or perspective that people who are marginalized tell about themselves. I think it is important to tell a counter narrative about dominant narratives because in the major part those dominant narratives that people say about other ain’t true at all. Lot of people just make things up and it is important to clarify certain stereotypes about us so that people do not believe on those lies.

To begin with, not all guatemalans are that short, Some people think that our height will like show other how smart we are, and just because we’re short, they call us dump, idiot, or stupid. I had an experience on my middle school, there were like a lot of chapines there, most of them were short, and they did not know how read and write, I am chapina but I do know how to do those things,and lot of my friends did not believe me when I said that I am from Guatemala, and they were like prove it, why you are not like them? why you don’t look like them? I got hella mad because I do not like to judge people just because the way they look, and if I were them, I would have help those people, we might not know how to do certains thing, but we’re Chispudos and our height or any other physical appearance will not determined if we are dump or not.

To continue, a Counter Narrative is a story or perspective that people who are marginalized tell about themselves, and it has something to do with me personally, because it is like my response to a makeup story that people with people with privilege and power tell about me. One of my images that I consider a counter narrative is the one next to the one say “Brown faces” and I consider it a counter narrative because that would like my response to what a lot people with power tell about Latinos, they say that all latinos have brown faces, and it is hard for me to hear that because I consider myself Latina, and I don’t like the ways that people talk about without even knowing them all.And so it is hard to see how others are carried away by certain stories that most of the time are not true, and even if they’re true, nobody has the right to judge anyone because no one is perfect. Another of my counter narratives is the image next to the one that says ” Not sure if trolling or just stupid” because that would be my response to what some people tell about Guatemalan people. This picture is an example of a Counter Narrative because that is what I would say to those who say that all Chapines are dump, or stupid.

Finally, Identity is, qualities of a person that defined who they are. One of my identities is that I am Guatemalan. This is a Identity because Nationality is consider an assigned identity which means, a identity of yourself that is fixed. A picture that a plan to use on my shadowbox is a picture of the Real madrid. This is one of my identity because Real Madrid is my favorite soccer team, also because this is consider a chosen identity which is a identity that you choose.

4 thoughts on “Assignment #5

1. Dear janely,

I am surprised about your paragraph about your shadowbox because it was very interesting to know about your counter and dominant narratives. Also it was great to learn about you. One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “Lot of people just make things up and it is important to clarify certain stereotypes about us so that people do not believe on those lies.” i think this is important because a lot of people say rumor about certince things and it’s great to point that out. I don’t agree with the point you make when you say a stereotype that short people have is that they are stupid. I don’t really believe that and never have heard anyone call someone stupid for their height. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing was interesting. Also it was entertaining and thought provoking to hear your thoughts and point of views.

2. December 20, 2017

Dear Janely,

The thing that I love about your shadow box and what make sit special is that you can see the difference in what you mean clearly because of how you separate it with a counter narrative and dominant narrative. I definitely agree with the whole guatemala comments I can totally relate to you i’m mexican but most people think i’m colombian or dominican. It can get frustrating at times but the important thing is to make it clear to people and defend our identities and say what right. Thank you for this amazing shadow box it was great!!! Hope to hear back

-Leslie